Grade Level: 10-12 Semester: Nine Weeks
Recommended: Sophomore standing.
Driver's Education Coordinator: Dave Luhrsen 815-937-3707 ext. 6033
This course is to be taken with 11-25 Sophomore PE. Sophomores are taken out of Physical Education classes for nine weeks for the classroom phase of Driver Education. Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) is an extension of the classroom teaching where practical application is attained through the use of on the street experiences in a driver education car. Students will be taken out of physical education for the behind-the- wheel phase, if the student is passing the physical education class. Approximately fifty (50) percent of students drive before or after school with the other fifty (50) percent driving during their PE class. Students drive in order of birth date. Students in BTW must be at least fifteen years old to obtain an instruction permit
and must be concurrently enrolled in or have successfully completed the classroom phase. Successful completion of the classroom and BTW is necessary before the student can secure a driver's license before he/she is 18 years old. There is a $250 fee for this class.
Students who wish to take Driver Education at BBCHS must receive a passing grade in at least eight (8) courses during the previous two semesters prior to enrolling in Driver Education. This restriction applies to both the classroom and behind the wheel segment of the class. This is in compliance with recent legislation. During the school year, Driver Education is limited to sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Parent-Teen Driving Guide
- Procedure for Obtaining Permit
- Acceptable Identification Document to obtain Permit
- Summer Drivers Education for 2020: The opportunity for the permit application process at the school is now closed. It is Full.
- Permit - Out of State Information
- Parent Mentor Practice Guide
- National Student Safety Program (NSSP)
- American Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association (ADTSEA)
- Illinois Bicycling Information
- Motorcycle safety Information
- Road Closures
- I-PASS Information
- Novice Teen Driver Education Training Standards
- Updated Drivers Education Standards
- Safety Education
- Child Safety Seats & Seat Belts
- Motorcycle Safety
- Crash Reports
- Teenage Drinking and Driving
- Distracted Driving
- Winter Driving
- Operation Lifesaver, Inc.
- Railroad Safety Education
- Railroad Safety Videos
- License plate Renewal
- Parental Access to teen Records
- Safe driver Renewal
- Address changes
- Organ/Tissue donor
- Rules of the Road
- Law Updates